I am not going to lie, even when I am being really careful about watching what I eat, I still love a little sweet treat every once in a while. And when I can find a hack to make those treats just a little bit healthier I am all over it. This super easy recipe for black bean brownies incorporates the sweetness and somewhat healthier version for me all in to one recipe.
And when I say easy, this recipe is EASY. All you need is 3 ingredients – your favorite brownie mix, a can of black beans and a little bit of water. That is it! I have tried this recipe with a number of different brownie mixes and all have turned out delicious.
The steps to a yummy batch of brownies are this easy:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and rinse 2/3 cup of black beans.
- In a blender add the beans with 1/2 cup water and mix until completely smooth. This step is very important if you have kids that will run away screaming if there is any sign of a bean in the brownies.
- In a mixing bowl, add the bean mixture to the brownie mix and still until completely mixed.
- Pour mixture in to a 9×11 pan. I used a silicon pan so there is no need for greasing ahead of time. If you use a metal or glass pan, be sure to great well ahead of time. I recommend an oblong pan as these brownies tend to have a fudgier consistency.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before serving.
Like I said, the easiest brownies you can ever make. You’re kids will never know that there is anything even remotely healthy in them. And you can enjoy without all those pangs of guilt.